Monday, February 9, 2009

A Zombie Awakes


 


I was exhausted in school today.    Last night I had been revved up about my writing plans and stayed up until around four a.m.  Of course, I slept through the seven a.m. alarm.  At 8:25 a.m. Radha came into my room and woke me.  Both of our first classes start at 9 a.m. and it takes almost half-an-hour to get there.  I brushed my teeth, quickly dressed without showering and sped off across town.  I felt like a barely bellowing zombie.  I hate when I don't shower because my hair looks ridiculous, even when I keep it short.

I skipped three of my five classes today and felt like a friggin' teenager again.  I just needed to relax and recover.  I kept preaching to myself that I would come back with more vigor on Wednesday.  Thank god I have Tuesday off.  I really hope I use my time wisely tomorrow. Anyway, I've taken on too much of a workload (16 credits) and have not gotten off to a good start this semester.  My overall GPA is 3.85 but if I don't get it together soon, it will take a bit of a hit.  As long as I pass all my classes, I will get my A.A. Degree and be eligible to apply for UF.  I have until March 1 to apply for Journalism school for the fall semester and have been dragging my feet.  I hate being a last-minute-man but it appears that's how I am.

Writing a daily journal means revealing when I'm both up and down.  Today has been a bad "didn't eat my Wheaties" type of day.  After my International Relations class, I dodged out of College Algebra to go eat something at Publix's.   I hadn't eaten yet and had yawned constantly through my American Government class.  My daughter also has College Algebra and asked to skip also and go with me to Publix.  Talk about setting a good example.

Generally, I can shrug off a sleepless night with a productive day, but I'd been wearing myself out so much lately that at some point I realized I had to pack it in and start with a clean slate in the morning.  I even skipped my Geology class, which I really needed to not miss anymore because the lectures are jammed packed with vital test-passing information.  Last Friday, I arrived there early and heard an interesting conversation between two students- a free-spirited guy and studious girl.

"I haven't done any of the online assignments yet," he said
"Really?" she said, very surprised an unimpressed.  "Why?"
"School is not number one on my priority list," he said.  (I talked to him recently and his number one priority is his band)
"That sucks," she said somewhat judgmentally.
"No," he said.  "It's actually really good."

There was an awkward silence and then the conversation shifted gears.Add Image

I love to observe things in class to make the time go by faster.  In my American Government class today, a girl who I had in my Public Speaking class a couple of semesters ago made an oral presentation about Obama's abortion policies.  You would think with everything we learned in that class she would have been half-decent at talking in front of others.  But quite to the contrary, she read from a printed page in a dreary monotone voice for the entire ten minutes. And I was already having a hard enough time staying awake before she started talking.

I watched Obama's talk on the economic stimulus package today and without getting into the policies, was very impressed with his presentation.  He handles himself in a very presidential fashion and comes off as sincere, competent, straight-forward and credible.  I think I will really grow to like this guy more and more over time.  Add Image

I let Radha drive some today.  She's pretty good at it and has had her permit for almost a year now. I relax more when I'm driving, though.  She doesn't take my driving advice so well.  She'll be eligible for her license in March; Krishna help me.

No comments: