Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Paranoid Polaroids and Payne's Prairie Dragging








Time is running out for me to get in all the necessary papers for my UF College of Journalism application.  I am going to Santa Fe college tomorrow to get a recommendation from my Advanced Composition teacher from last semester.  I have not been able to get in touch with my Journalism professor and I am suppose to have at least two referrals.  Tomorrow, I will write some of my other former professors and see if anyone will be willing to help me with such short notice.

I've got the Wednesday blahs again.  I didn't exercise today, save and except for the trip my Geology lab class took to Payne's Prairie.  At some point a girl and boy were playfully flirting ad naseum and my professor turned to me and said "It's just like were in middle school or high school again.  I answered "Apparently," and I think I might have hurt their feelings a little.  Not the guy so much because he was happy-go-lucky oblivious, but perhaps the girl.  So, to make amends I added something stupid, "Sometimes I wish I was 21 again."  "Twenty-one?" the professor said.  "If I know what I know now, then maybe."  

I thought about it for awhile and came to the conclusion that despite my complaints, I rather like my age.  I think I've always liked the age I have been at any particular time because I have grown more as a person incrementally throughout my life..  Sometimes older people fantasize about being younger with the confidence and knowledge they have now and having a field day with the opposite sex but this is no more than movie material to me.  I actually think George Burns was in a movie like that where he went into a nerdy boy's body and suddenly was able to get all the girls based on his know-how, charm and experience.  

The Payne's Prairie trip was nice today but I was dragging.  Apparently, there are more snakes  cited in the rest area off I-75 near Payne's Prairie than any other similar stretch in the world.  I didn't see any and was perfectly fine with that.  The park is 50 miles in circumference and has over 350 different wildlife species including wild stallions, bison, coyotes, and of course, alligators galore.

I didn't exercise beyond the Payne's Prairie trip today because I've been going full throttle lately and needed to give my body time to recover a little.  I think tomorrow morning I will go to the gym and resume my treadmill and weights regimen with added determination.  Another reason I abstained from the gym today was because I basically had classes straight from nine to five and just needed to relax when I returned home.  

As I said before, for some reason I have been getting into a mental funk on Wednesdays because of all the classes but I also find myself in a more contemplative mood as well.  As I have been watching my diet and exercising regularly lately, I feel a new surge of power going through me.  I think I should take advantage of it by increasing my spiritual practices just a little.  Just to give Krishna a little token piece of my day by chanting more regularly would be nice.  I've had the desire in my heart for some time but if I don't act on that desire then it's not worth as much as it could be.  I think, as a fringe benefit, I will become more satisfied in my heart if I do this.  I have been restless lately but I think that is my general nature.  I don't like to settle.  I always feel the need to progress and experience new things.

In that light, I talked to a classmate today who is really into photography.  I told her my problem is that people sometimes get uptight when I'm taking pictures of them.  I don't like to ask others for permission unless I want them to get into the pose mode.  I want something more authentic.  of course, the pose mode can be fine also, but I want both.  I think people get taken aback to see a middle-aged man come up to them and start snapping away.  Even if they know me they are paranoid. "What are you going to do, post this on the internet or something?"  People like their privacy and they can be very self-conscious about how they look.  If they like the picture, however, they become happy.  I wish I had more pictures of myself at certain times of my life but I don't and have no time machine available to go get them.  Still, I guess I have to get used to all this and kind of just trudge on with my snapping.  Panchagauda told me he doesn't ask questions, he just snaps away and acts stupid with a big smile on his face.

The girl I was talking to said that it is easier for her because she has a less threatening appearance as a young girl.  Being a rotund-looking 44-year-old man, people who don't know me could think I'm some kind of pervert or something.  She did say when I get a killer camera people will be more disarmed because I will look professional.  As far as digital-SLR's go, she recommended a Pentax.  I'm going to do some research as I plan to get a nice camera in the summer when the moolah is flowing again.  I want to be well-equipped for Jounalism College.

My American Government exam was pretty easy.  It took me about six minutes, ten minutes tops, to complete it as I was eating a plate of prasadam.  It was so cool to casually eat as I took a test that I actually knew the answers to.  Yeah, this semester has been that bad and I am traumitized.  There were 20 questions and about six extra credit questions.  If you need to take a political science class at Santa Fe College, I recommend Jay Maglio.  Besides giving easy tests he's a cool, intelligent, and mutli-faceted guy.

No comments: