Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I Love Tuesdays, Exercise Brought to You by Mars, and the Growing Tide of Republican Irrelevance


This semester I love Tuesdays.  Tuesday is a day off and I usually have energy.  Tuesday is also kind of a clean-up, get-myself-together type of a day too.  Glani is doing her thing and I'm doing mine.  Radha is in her room and I might grab her to go grab a bite somewhere or something. Today, I did a couple of loads of laundry, organized my desk, put out the trash and recycle bins for Wednesday morning pickup, hit the gym for a couple of hours, washed the pile of dishes and pots in the kitchen, ate at the Fat Tuscan (soup and salad), wrote two blogs (actually this is my third of the day), cooked kichari, offered and partook, watched Obama and took notes for my American National Government class, played some good music including the Hussys, the Eagles and Phoebe Snow, picked up some natural dandruff shampoo at Mother Earth, unclogged a friggin' clogged toilet (that was a trip), and did an astrology reading for a client in New York among, I'm sure, other things that aren't coming to mind right now.  Am I ramped up on speed or something? No.  I'm ramped up on Mars, which rules Tuesdays.  If you speak Spanish you'll know what I'm talking about it.  After all, it isn't called Martes for nothing.

I felt really good today.  This exercising is paying off.  I'm praying my knee won't give out or something and leave me on the fat-man-sidelines anytime soon.  Moderation is the key.  I'm trying to increase slowly.  So, my energy level is rising but the weight is dropping slowly.  I think part of it is I'm converting some of it to muscle and that stuff really does weigh more.  I'll take that kind of weight without problem.  When I hit the treadmill today, I made sure my heart-rate stayed in the fat-burning zone as opposed to the muscle-eating zone.  The muscle-eating zone sounds like out of a horror movie or something.

I still have to study for my American Government test.  I think I'll do okay but I'll do even better if I study.  There will be extra credit on the test from the Obama speech tonight which I did manage to watch.  I thought it was a great speech.  I liked it when he said that America took a surplus and transfered it to the wealthy while ignoring the rebuilding of America and important issues like health care, alternative energy and education.  How can a rich person enjoy his wealth with a clear conscience when people are not getting adequate health care in this country?  It's an abomination, in my obvious opinion, to make health care such a profit- driven industry.  It's pathetic and symbolizes capitalistic greed gone amuck.  I'm all for free- enterprise but that is absolute heartlessness.  Conservative Christians who are against national health care boggle my mind.  What is the primary thing Jesus did when he was on earth?  Well, healing the sick without charge was definitely up there.  Isn't Christianity suppose to symbolize helping your fellow humans?   Anyway, suffice it to say, I liked what Obama had to say.

I think the Republicans are a bit dazzled about what to do about all this.  President Obama is so charismatic that he has hit rock star status.  He is so competent and  inspiring and the country's state is so dire, that you would have to be pretty much be inhuman to not want to jump on board at least partially, I would think.  It appears that the Republican party as we have known it for years will be taking the back seat of irrelevance for at least a good decade or so, if my intuition on the matter is anywhere near correct.


No comments: