Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Bathroom Meditations


I know no one wants to get germs in the public bathroom but it's downright rude not to flush the toilet or urinal after you use it.  I don't enjoy peeing into your pee.  There's something intrinsically weird about it.  I know it's left your body and it's left mine but it still feels perverse and it should not be practiced.  I don't desire to inhale the fumes of your urine while I'm urinating either. The possibility of backsplash is also worrisome.  Also, I don't think I should have to flush your urine before I proceed.  Sometimes, I'm even in line behind you and you don't flush. You just walk away and look at me as if everything's cool.  It's not cool.  Flush the damn toilet, you animal.  Disgusting.

I always feel a little guilty about being the first to use the toilet after someone washes it.  At a public bathroom there is no guilt.  I'm totally ecstatic that I have come across a clean toilet. But if it's at my house or one of my friends, I feel like I'm defacing the purity or something. Sometimes, it looks so sparkling clean that it seems a shame to use it for what it was intended for.

The body is a container filled with some pretty disgusting substances, if you really think about it.  We walk around and shake people's hands when we are introduced to them, while they and we have all that stuff in us that we regularly make an effort to expel from our bodies and vanquish from our sight.  Every hole of the body is an outlet for something undesirable.  I don't need to get into these undesirable substances here but suffice it to say, their valuable essence has been pretty much been extracted out of them and the worst of the worst, the stuff that the body has no use for, is thrown out into the waiting world.

Actually, the body takes delicious-looking foodstuffs (if they didn't look delicious, there would not be so much motivation for eating) and basically takes what it can out of them, turning the rest into purely unwanted materials.  Okay, I will mention some of this stuff just to get my point across: ear wax, vomit, feces, urine, saliva, snot, etc.  There are many more but you already know all these and I'm sure you get the picture.  We are basically walking around brimming full of all this stuff and trying to be attractive, with not much really separating each other from this "stuff" other than our skin.  And the funny thing is. we often are attracted to each other.  Very attracted.  So much so that we lose our minds for a while in the process.  The "skin-wrapping" makes it all okay  and even very desirable.   I guess that's a good argument for gift-wrapping presents.  It just makes it all seem so much better than it really is.



 


No comments: