Friday, February 13, 2009

Blase Day (Unless You Look Closer)







I need these intermittent day-offs during the school week.  The homework piles up with all the classes I'm taking.  There are other things to do to; like everyone else on the planet, I'm busy.  School, work, kids, paperwork, bills, health regimen, spiritual life.  Why do I put spiritual life last?  I really don't.   I try to keep the flame burning within even in the midst of everything.  I just spent three hours doing Algebra homework.  I put it off and then it piles up.  It's easy enough, most of it but it's tedious.  It's my fault that I let it pile up, though.  All my fault.

I took a walk around 1:30 today.  I took some pictures on the way to the UF Plaza- a empty gin bottle on the sidewalk, an Incredible Hulk toy looking down from an apartment balcony, and a sidewalk filled with North Central Florida foliage.  I didn't want to take time to cook so I walked for my lunch.  Kind of like singing for your supper.  I once thought about hooking up the TV to the treadmill.  Only way it would come on is when I exercised.  Either I would give up TV or get fit watching it.  I only thought about it; I never actually did it.  I watch very little TV these days and I exercise (by actually walking outside), so I'm getting the best of both worlds.  I belong to the Gainesville health and Fitness Center but have not used it much lately.  I would like to fit in some anaerobics to my schedule.

I talked to Satyahit Prabhu today.  He's 66 and has been a devotee a long time.  He does nice service distributing prasadam.  He works hard and does some physical labor, lifting buckets and bins.  I asked him to take a picture of me taking prasadam and he obliged.  I got there late but before they packed up.  The devotees gave me a heaping plate.  Satyahit and I  talked about astrology.  He asked me how I calculate prashnas.  A prashna is a chart constructed at the time of a question in order to shed some light on a particular situation.

Later, the talk gravitated to health care.  He told me how his wife's health insurance isn't fair, that they refuse to cover medical concerns that they should.  I told him how my wife went through cancer and we had to fight tooth and nail with the insurance company to pay what they rightfully owed while she fought for recovery.  They still haven't paid everything. The total bill was over $200,000.  Not something you want to go through when you're fighting for your life.  I think it's horribly wrong to make health care into a profit-making business as the United States has allowed. Decent people sometimes die because they wait too long to get checked for things because they can't afford to go to the doctor.  By Krishna's grace she made it through and her health recovered.  It took six months to diagnose and it was almost too late.  I'll tell the whole story another time.

Vrn stopped by today and Radha and her went to Maudes.  They watched a little bit of Flight of the Conchords.  I sat down for five minutes and got a good laugh.  Glani wasn't here very long today.  She had a heavy school day and has to work in the hospital on Friday.  I actually watched an episode of the Gilmore Girls with her.  She went to her mother's to sleep tonight because it is closer to the hospital where she is working early tomorrow.

A gave one devotee a tarot reading.  He gets them often with me and finds them accurate.  

I called Chakradhara and he said he was really ill with the flu.  He was not in a talkative mood.  I agreed to drive to Alachua to bring him some medicine at 9:30 at night.  He was grateful.  If you can't help your friends when they really need you then what is the point of friendship?

Not much more to report.  I have to be in school tomorrow at 9 a.m. and it's almost 2 a.m. now. I have a quiz in Geology tomorrow.  I'll have to study for that.






No comments: