Sunday, March 22, 2009

Getting Over the Flu

I had a little case of the flu, which it appears I'm getting over.  So, for the last couple of days, I stayed away from the gym to give my body recovery time. The nurse at Santa Fe College told me to be careful lifting dead weights as the straining could adversely affect my blood pressure. There are so many benefits that I am going to keep lifting and just keep an eye on the pressure regularly.  Haven't been getting much sleep for a while, perhaps three or four hours a day.  For the most part, though, I haven't felt that tired.  I just go to sleep when I'm tired and wake up when it comes naturally.  The good news was on the scale this morning.  I continue to lose weight.  Now I'm down to 223 pounds, making it now 26 pounds that I have shed.  I'm assuming it's because I'm eating less and exercising more and that it's not because of some kind of curse like in the Stephen King movie "Thinner" or something.  I plan on resuming my regimen at the gym today.

In terms of the eating, I made kichari yesterday morning and ate about a modest-sized bowl and a half with a couple of tortillas and plain yogurt.  I overcooked the vegetables and didn't spice it too much as my stomach has been on the queasy side since I got this flu.  At night, I ate nothing except a little leftover popcorn.  My stomach has shrunk and I can much more easily now control my hunger episodes.  Normally, I would have ate more during the day but I am trying to get this illness out of me early.

I saw the film "Watchmen" with Radha and Vrn on Friday night.  Not my general genre of movie (I have never been your typical alpha-male action movie guy) but I really enjoyed it.  The soundtrack was great and the movie was for the most part very well done.  It's rated "R" and deserves that rating, so be aware if you are thinking about bringing younger children.  The violence was shocking for me at first.  It is intense.  At first, we were planning to see the movie "The Reader" but got there late.  So, instead, we hung out at Walmart and waited for the 11:45 showing.  The movie lasted almost three hours and I am happy to say I only drifted off to sleep once and that was for just a split second.

I've got two major tests coming up on Friday that will have great bearing on my grades in Algebra and Geology.  I really need to get cracking on the study early this week before the anxiety of not studying starts to crack me.




No comments: