Thursday, April 23, 2009

Garg the Groper?

A couple of days ago, I was glancing at the front page of the Independent Alligator and noticed an article about the UF groper being apprehended and charged with 31 counts of groping.  Each count, it said, could carry a maximum one-year sentence and $1,000 fine.  Apparently, the 22-year-old Indian student was telling women they had a bug on them of some kind and when they started freaking out about it, acting like he was going to brush it away, he groped them instead.  You can imagine my surprise when I looked at the caption under his picture and it read "Garg."  The student's name is Robin Garg.  My friends have had a big kick out of it the last couple of days.

My weight has remained at 209 pounds for almost a week.  It's frustrating but I have continued to hit the gym and know that muscle is still being added and fat is still being subtracted from the equation.  Yesterday, I played basketball with Kesi, Kavi and Radha.  I am amazed how my energy is up.  We played two games of Kesi and Kavi against Radha and I.  The first game they won but the second game, I hit nine three-point range shots in a row and we went up 9-2.  They closed it to within 9-8 and then I was able to will the last two baskets in through sheer hustle for the win.  This was an accomplishment considering Kavi and Kesi are both taller than me and Radha never plays basketball.  Kesi has three inches on me and considerable stronger than I but I was able to block one of his charts and I frequently won the rebound battle, battling in the middle with the two of them.  In the process, someone kneed me in the calf and I am still a little sore from it.  After two games, they all quit but I wanted to play more.  As they stood around and talked, I jumped on the treadmill for another 15 minutes and continued to work up a sweat.

I believe I am leaving for the summer around May 7th or so.  I have to concentrate on finals for now.  This has been the worst semester of my life, grade-wise.  Taking six classes really back-fired.  I came into this semester with a 3.85 grade point average.  As of now, I have one A and am tottering with 3 C's.  I had to drop two of my classes and will make them up online during the summer.  What a mistake I made taking on such a work load!  At some point, my mind shut off and I could not get beyond the mental barrier.  I was burnt out and half-dead but still tottering on academic life-support.  I am a little annoyed with UF because they requested to know where I was between 1982 and 1983.  That was 27-years-ago for God's sake.  I hand-delivered a letter saying I was traveling the country after I graduated from High School.  After I found out that a girl I know from my Journalism class last semester got into to the Journalism college already, I became a little concerned for myself, having not heard from them yet.  THe kicker is that she got a C in that class, whereas I got an A.  When I checked my status online, I found out that they never processed the hand-delivered letter I gave them.  I called and had it corrected but am afraid that their gaff may have spoiled my chances to get in this fall. "You traveled around the country and weren't gainfully employed?" the man asked.  "Are you sure that's all you want to put?"  "Make up a better-looking story for me if you want," I said.  I was 18-years-old for Christ sake!   Anyway, if I don't get in for the Fall, I will try for the Spring of 2010 and just make more money instead in the meantime.  After all, without money, a man's sense of self-prestige is pretty low.

I watched Oliver Stone's "W" yesterday and was mortified by the incompetence of America's commander-in-chief for eight years.  He was not only a spoiled rich kid but an ignorant buffoon as well who desperately tried to prove himself to Daddy.  What an embarrassment it was to have this guy representing my country when I traveled overseas.  I know there was a lot of poetic license taken in the movie but I cringe to think that there were enough dumb Americans to elect this guy for two-terms.  Oh my God.  It's as W. said himself, "Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me a second time, I won't get fooled again."



No comments: